Monday, August 17, 2026

Resurrecting a Samsung Galaxy Tab E SM‑T560

During vacations, I spent a day bringing an old Samsung Galaxy Tab E (SM‑T560 / gtel3g) back to life. It started as a quick tweak and turned into a proper little surgery: replace the stock recovery, flash a custom LineageOS ROM to test, chase down a couple of quirks, and finally install an alternative Android, ViperOS, build focused on stability. This is what I did and the gotchas I hit.

The plan and the tools

My goal was to get a cleaner, more usable system for media and light tinkering. The process is well documented across xda and youtube videos: Get device into Download Mode, install Samsung USB drivers, open Odin, connect android device to windows host and ensure Odin recognizes it, unselect the reboot option and use a tared recovery.img to install a custom recovery. Once you have the customer recovery, swip data and install zipped ROMs from memory card.

  • Download Mode: Power + Volume Down + Home.

  • Recovery: flashed Pitch Black Recovery. Found the recovery.img in github release, used 7zip to create a tar archive and then pushed it to the device selecting it as AP via Odin 3.13.1. This video demonstrates the steps clearly, but it skips one important detail: pressing Power + Volume Down + Volume Up + Home all at once triggers a reboot. That’s why the video tells you to release Volume Down, leaving Power + Volume Up + Home, the actual key combo that boots into recovery. If you miss it, don't worry. Just use that sequence to enter the recovery you just flashed (Pitch Black Recovery).

  • ROMs tested: LineageOS 11 first, then the LineageOS 14.1 which has flickering issues with my screen, and finally ViperOS 5.1 which I kept.


What actually happened

Flashing Pitch Black via Odin was straightforward once I had the right image and a stable USB connection. LineageOS gave the usual benefits, snappier UI, fewer Samsung services, and a lighter system, but I hit a hardware‑adjacent software problem that took a few detours to understand.

Both capacitive buttons (the old Android app‑selection button and the back key) were completely not working after the initial flash. I found a keyfix.zip that added a Generic.kl keyboard mapping; that didn’t restore the non‑working capacitive buttons but rathe remapped additional functions of the home button. In short, the keyfix changed behavior but didn’t fix the dead capacitive inputs.

I was ready to live with the partial fix when I noticed a post about Viperos V5.1 for the Galaxy Tab E. ViperOS is an alternative Android build focused on stability, and there were no regressions mentioned in the comments besides the known issue of not showing the charging animation if the device is closed. I installed ViperOS 5.1 and that’s the build I’m keeping: stable, minimal features, and tuned for reliable day‑to‑day use. Instead of installing Google Play and its services I went the F‑Droid route: installed F‑Droid, grabbed a handful of apps from there, and even sideloaded Chrome by downloading the APK.

Disclaimer: Viperos 5.1 is still based on a very old Android branch and receives no security updates, so the tablet can be a useful attack vector for anyone trying to get into your network. Treat it as untrusted, avoid storing sensitive data, and keep the device on an isolated or guest Wi‑Fi network.

Windows driver snag

One extra snag worth calling out: my Windows 7 machine refused to accept the Samsung USB drivers at first. Odin wouldn’t see the device because the driver installer failed with Error 52 complaining the driver wasn’t signed. Unfortunately the usual trick of toggling test signing and disabling integrity checks with

bcdedit -set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON
didn't work for me. The long‑way fix was to upgrade the PC to Windows 7 SP1 and apply Windows6.1‑KB3033929‑x64 (SHA‑2 signing support). After those updates I could run SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones_v1.9.5.0.exe and get usable drivers; Odin then recognized the tablet reliably.





No comments: